Thursday, September 6, 2012

Elk

The most interesting experience since last posting was dinner Saturday night at "The Precinct" Delta and Columbia Parkway (513) 321-5454. One of the specials was Elk and since I am an adventuous eater my dinner thoughts immediatly switched to trying this new item. I'm delighted that I did. As I mentioned, I have never had this meat and any new experienice is something that appeals.
It is not easy to describe the taste but the physical apperance reminded me of an extra large blade lamb or port chop with the meat adhearing to a single bone. It had been grilled, as are most of the steaks, and seasoned, probably with an altered steak seasoning. It was lightly covered with a Bordelaise Sauce. The rib was served medium rare and was prepared perfectly.
As to the taste I have not had a great deal of experience with "game" but the Elk had a flavor of aged beef plus a slight accent of the wilderness. I don't have a vocabulary of meat terms, like wine, but it was strong enough to be different but in no way to strong to override the expected meat flavor. I'm sorry but this is the best I can do. Someone with more experience might help me with future Elk decriptions.
Marilyn had her favorite, Dover Sole, and so it was an emensely pleasant evening for us both.

No comments: