Saturday, July 2, 2011

Rest of June

I'm not sure I gave enough detail of the productions and events of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival (OSF) which are truly outstanding. If anyone has real interest I suggest that first you go on line and check out their extensive web site. If you have a need for a more personal descriptions or specific questions you can always contact me at jwhirschhorn@fuse.net. It is truly a must for anyone interested in dramatic art.

Now back to the main thrust of "Let's Eat Out".
Our son suggested a family dinner for the 5 of us at "Coquina" 542 A St. Ashland OR 97520 (541) 488-0521 instead of a play on Friday night June 17. This chef owned restaurant has been in business for less than a year and has an interesting array or dishes. As usual, when our family eats, together, we all sample whatever anyone orders.
After my Bombay I followed with a Beet Salad, large enough to divide in half or thirds, fixed with several kinds of beets and mushroom. It was truly enough for a whole delicious dinner but this was just the beginning, that evening. My "main course" was veal osso bucco which while very filling was not as tender nor flavorful as I had hopped. I, of course, shared and our Granddaughter and son had no problems with good sized helping of my "main". In exchange I had a good taste of Gnocchi and of a fine grilled Flat Iron Steak. I passed on Quail and Halibut, two other dishes at the table.
The two split desserts, a White (cake) Lemon Raspberry and a rich, chocolate torte were both right on the mark.

The next night the whole group( of playgoers), ten in all, ventured to "Taj Indian Cuisine" 31 Water St. Ashland (541) 488-5900. Our 5:30 dinner was a mixture of different flavors, textures, smells and tastes.
I started with a King Fisher Beer and Gobi Manchurian ( Cauliflower with a spicy sauce reminiscent of an American Bar-B-Que Sauce) All items were offer to all who wished to taste, of which many participated. Next I had an Organic Pear salad, just what the name implies, onion Nan and major tastes of Chicken Tiki Marsala, Lamb and spinach, Karahi Shrimp and Aloo Mutter ( potato's roasted with spices). Long ago I learned that when a group, or young children, order it is wise to go lightly and keep a large plate available for part of what everyone thinks they will eat.
Our meals in California, after Ashland were nothing special, do to circumstances with those we visited the rest of the time.

Home for two days( laundry) and then off to Wisconsin for a week, at Camp Nebagamon, starting June 24. That nights dinner at the "Essen Haus" in Madison WI was a throw back to the old German American restaurants which populated Cincinnati when I was a child(1930/1960 ). Outside tables under an awning, music and food; a dining service plus a large bar and dining area in a chalet type building.
I had a wonderful, dark German beer, "Spaten Optimator" to accompany my "combo plate" of excellent Wiener Schnitzel (veal), Jaeger Schnitzel (pork), and a pork and veal grilled sausage ( dark spicy mustard, a must). Also, besides the meat, there was a helping of red cabbage, which I substituted for kraut, and hot German potato salad. The meats were perfect, the accompaniments ordinary.
Marilyn ate only a large portion of the Wiener Schnitzel, which was undoubtedly wise. There is also a branch of "Essen House" in the Dells, for those who venture that far.
The other noteworthy Wisconsin meal was at the "Deep Lake Lodge" 67975 E. Deep Lake Rd. Iron River WI ( not a place you'll probably visit). Wisconsin "road houses" know how to deep fry Walleye. Maybe it their experience or just the surroundings that make this unhealthy dish delicious. That, salad and crisp hash browns and a beer are the perfect evening as the "sun sets" (literally) over a lake.

So now we're home and into July and a hot muggy Cincinnati summer. I'm sure we'll find something to do and somewhere to Eat Out.

No comments: