Saturday, January 14, 2012

Too much Good Food

As usual I have consumed too much good food this past week. It's all the fault of the the guy who shows up, when I go out to eat, and the forced feeding he inflicts. Oh well, we all must carry a burden. Here's a report on the burden I'm carrying, mostly around the waist.

Last Sunday we had a farewell brunch for our granddaughter, who returned to Bates College that afternoon. "Cumin Eclectic Cuisine" 3520 Erie Ave. 45208 (513)-871-8714, as I reported, began serving Brunch about two months ago. Their menu lives up to the name "Eclectic". Several weeks ago, on our first brunch visit I had Shrimp and Grits( great) this time it was "Cumin Benedict", two half's of English Muffins covered with thin sliced, roast pork, fresh steamed spinach, perfectly poached eggs and a pork based creamed sauce with various herbs and spices. Everything blended perfectly and was prepared without a flaw. Others had Shrimp and Grits and "Eggs ur Way", in this case they were fried and served with diced potatos, bacon and a warm croissant. Obvious we were delighted.

Next it was "Nectar Restaurant" 1000 Delta Ave. 45208 where one of my current loves, Julie Francis, puts together meals that are not only interesting but delicious. I had given Julie a recipe for tripe, one of my favorite innards, and to no ones surprise the dish was a "special" that evening.
I had three different items plus a glass of white wine. Starting with a piece of flat bread with ground sauteed sausage layered on a light cheese sauce and topped with caramelized onions and a fried egg. Different textures and flavors, again blending perfectly. This was followed with a crisp romaine heart salad with a wonderful light, tasty dressing and accompanied with a slice poached pear half. My last item was the tripe in a wonderful light spicy tomato sauce with three to four bite croutons. Most of the others had the Moroccan Chicken, served on lentils with Mediterranean vegetables.
For dessert I was treated to a Carmel Brulee. Not a pudding but but a firm custard with both Carmel and Maple flavors, prominently on display. Julie, thanks.

Lastly we were off to "Otto's" 521 Main St. Covington, Ky 41016 (859) 491-6678. What can I say, that I haven't already about our "home way from home". New people went with us so we started with the excellent Fried Green Tomato's, a must at "Otto's" and in my opinion the best in the area. For my main course it was one of the evening specials, Golden Tilefish roasted beautifully, firm but still quite juicy. It was served atop a polenta cake with both roasted, caramelized Brussels Sprout, with slivers of brown sugar curred bacon and a portion of sweetened grilled kale . Terrific combination well prepared by Molly and her kitchen staff. Chenin Blanc and white chocolate, apricot bread pudding completed my meal and my week.

No comments: