Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hamburgers and Hot Dogs

I hate to try to rank eating establishments, however, the other day we were discussing informal eating, which brought to mind two places I enjoy for sidewalk or bar food.
For a hamburger, around town, it is hard for me to go anywhere but "Terry's Turf Club" on Eastern Ave. I had written about this spot, months ago, before it got "discovered". One used to walk in, sit down, throw a few peanut shells on the floor, with the resultant nuts keeping you in the bar business and order your hamburgers and French Fries with no fuss or bother. Now on week nights between 6:30 PM and 9 you are lucky if the wait is only 20 to 30 minutes.
On the weekends it is any ones guess as to the wait time. The sandwiches are worth the wait.

Last week, one of my lunch companions and I tried the new "sidewalk grill" in front of "Avrils and Bleh", on Court St. He and I are big sausage lovers and while I ordered and ate a good Brat, but not cooked well enough, for my taste, he tried to down two "hot dogs". He didn't make it but I willingly came to his rescue. The hot dogs, as you night imagine, are good sized, done perfectly and only $2.00 each. There is a fairly full "grill menu" but I stick to the "tube steaks"
Inside Avril will fix sandwiches to order. Maybe I'll try one someday.

No comments: