Thursday, August 16, 2012

Second visit

As I said in my previous posting, one can not really judge a restaurant with only one visit. We returned to "BrewRiver GastroPub" 2062 Riverside Dr. (513) 861-2484 on a beautiful summer night this week. This time we enjoy their reconditioned patio, which I am happy to report has a ramp, making it accessable to handicaped patrons.
The service remained completly satisfactory with the proper attention and knowledge paid to any questions we had. Several beer samples were provided before we decided on our final selection. The do offer flights of beer for those interested in trying many.
I realized several thing about this new endevor. First and formost they are what their name implies, a "Brew-Pub". I didn't take a count, but I would guess that they offer 40 or 50 different beers and this is the premise around which everything else functions. The food, as it was the first time, was very well prepared and tasty, with several items carrying the mark of the New Orleans trained kitchen staff, liberal use of spice.
There were four of us and we split many items. Our meal started with "Amish Chicken Liver Pate", this was accomplanied by sauteed, seasoned onions. I found the pate slightly less hearty than the normal Bar Mitzvah offering. Next came Caprese Salad, which when split gave several pieces of field ripened tomato and firm Mozzarella to each dinner. The salad had a drizzel of Balsamic. Marilyn had the Buttermilk dipped Amish chicken, a very small helping, which was nicly done, while I split an Oyster Po'Boy and a Muffaletta with the other wife. The Po'Boy was very good but had a spicy Remoulade which overpowered all the other flavors. The Muffaletta while good needed, in my estimation, more of the olive salad to be up to it's origin, Southern Louisiana. For desssert we all split a very rich "Arrogant Brownie" made with Arrogant Ale.
The meal was ample, well prepared and an interesting mix of textures and flavors, most extremely complmentary to the beer served.

The only other adventure this past week has been to "Otto's", who make the Blog with great regularity. A Bombay, excellent Fried green tomatoes and a terrific Lobster salad proceeded my main course of Pan Sauteed Grouper on a bed of Risotto mixed with pear, apricot and nuts. An outstanding meal, but then I admit to being very prejudiced and not always objective. Marilyn had flank steak, medium rare, as orderd.

I'm sure we will return to both spots. Interesting places, to me, are habit forming.

No comments: