Saturday, June 1, 2013

Highlites/East

Before I report on our 11 day Eastern trip, which I know is only interesting to those who travel or keep up with our activities, I must mention that the last posting is out there somewhere in cyberspace.
Since I "hunt and peck" I often hit a wrong key and once in a while my posting never make an addition to what has gone before. Maybe a "hacker" in Russia or China, if they find it, can return my previous effort.

We left Cincinnati Monday, May 20 driving, with our New York cousin, to the "Big Apple". Arrived the next day, after a night in DuBois PA (don't eat at "Luigi's") and showed up at "Union Square Cafe" for dinner. This is Danny Meyer's oldest and most Midwestern restaurant. That fits because we are "old" and Midwestern. The menu is devided into Appetizers, Pasta, Snacks (new to me), Main Courses and Vegetables. I started with a snack of Lamb Ribs and meatballs, "Tzatzki"; two, crispy, grilled ribs and two lamb meatballs, medium rare, bathed in Tzatzki sauce. For my main course I chose "Sweet Pea Raviolini", stuffed with Maine Lobster, Meyer Lemon and Pea Shoots. Marilyn went with Gravlax, as her snack, and Rainbow Trout accompanied by Beech Mushrooms, Sunchokes and Pea Shoots( they must have been plentiful at the farmers market on Union Square).
Our first full day in the city took us to an outdoor, rope, sculpture display, in Madison Park, several art galleries, displaying Jeff Koons and another with Elsworth Kelly, and an afternoon at MoMa. That evening three of us ate dinner at "Sandro's", expensive and excellent Italian. "Sandro's" has a printed menu, which the server said is for show, and an extensive group of specials. I began with the most outstanding grilled octopus and potato salad I have ever enjoyed. It might have been the best single dish I had on the whole trip. The virgin olive oil and spices set off every flavor of all the ingrediants. The Ossobuco, which was my main course, was fine but everything dimmed, that night, after the salad, maybe a bottle of Chianti effected my taste buds or clouded my mental reations. Marilyn split an artichoke salad and then devoured a large portion of "Scaloppine Limon".
Next day, before the 3 PM cloud burst, and a trip to our rooms to dry, we spent serveal hours at the Met. Musem plus a burger and shake lunch at the 86th St. "Shake Shack" and shopping on the upper East side. Dinner, again for 3, was at "Atlantic Grill" 3rd Ave and 77th St. Here, after a 3 way split of 2 "farmers salads" I had my first Soft Shelled Crabs, a dish to be repeated several times. Marilyn stuck with roast chicken but did help all of us decimate an order of Profiteroles.
Friday, after a subburban deli lunch, we headed to Poughkeepsie and our Granddaughter graduation at Vassar College.

The whole family stayed at the Marriott Courtyard, at graduation rates, and ate the first two nights at restaurants chosen by our son and the graduate. Friday night was "Babycakes" a campus area eatery which did manage to russle up some decent Soft Shelled Crabs.
Saturday we toured the campus, spent time in the Vassar Art Museum, which has a very nice collection of varrious period art, and helped Lilly, the granddaughter, pack for her departure. "Crave" 129 Washington St. was our destination, 11 strong, for dinner. I have never heard of this, nor other spots, but was pleasently surprised by this chef run establishment, in a renovated, neighborhood house. We have eaten at the CIA( Culinary Institute of America), on several occasions, but "Crave" topped anything that the aspiring chefs at the school turn out. My dinner consisted of Tuna Tartar, a wonderful Mushroom Polenta and a dessert of Canolli with fresh raspberries. Marilyn went with a pasta, this time Cavatelli with a tomato and veal sauce.
The rain stopped, the sky cleared and a wonderful graduation took place, in a natural ampitheatre, on the Vassar campus, overlooking a man made lake, Sunday morning. The event was followed by "area of interest"( English, Math, etc.) receptions, ours featured catering by a local Greek Restaurant. The afternoon was spent with roommates and family's as all graduates were getting ready to move themselves into their next life stages.
Dinner Sunday night was arranged by Lilly's other Grandfather at "Crew". A lively bar and restaurant run by two graduated from the CIA. Again I had Soft Shelled Crabs, ending my time in New York State and possible the season for this dish. Marilyn had a burger with all the trimmings.

I'll save Boston and the trip home for another posting, and hope this one makes it to the Blog page.

No comments: