Sunday, January 6, 2008

Mesh

Happy New Year to all.
This is the first entry of the new year. It doesn't mean I haven't eaten but most meals have been at home. Like a lot, I'm making an effort to take off a few pounds and it's easier to do at our home table than it is elsewhere. Dinners out are hard to control if I ant to be a good reporter.
Last night 6 of us had an excellent dinner at "Mesh", Paul Sturkey's, restaurant at 6200 Muhlhauser Road in West Chester. For those not familiar, West Chester is North of the I 275 loop and south of Monroe. A good landmark is the Marriott Hotel off I 75 "Mesh is right across Mulhauser to the West of the hotel. Phone is 513-777-7171 and although it is a large, attractive restaurant I would suggest reservations. It is handicapped accessible and has full bar service.
"Mesh" is another owner operator establishment and these seem to be my personal favorites. Check out reviews of "Honey", "Otto's" and "Nectar". Paul is on the premises, most of the time, and he and his wife, Pam, the pastry chef, oversee the kitchen as well as the rest of the house.
The service is first rate, well trained and knowledgeable. I especially liked it that our server quoted the price of the specials and mentioned an extra charges that went with one of my requests. More on that later.
Your in the mood for a fine meal after becoming aware of the atmosphere created, both by the ambiance and the personnel throughout the dinning rooms. The food does not disappoint.
We chose a California Cabernet from the Pasa Robles area North Of Santa Barbara. Our server advised that this was a somewhat lighter "Cab" which went well with our array of dishes. The wine list is extensive and covers all varieties and price points.
I started my meal with an Iceberg Head Lettuce Salad with chopped tomato's and blue cheese crumbles. The dressing was a very rich, peppercorn ranch, which lived up to it's name. I followed with a broiled Salmon Fillet, which I requested medium rare and which came as requested. It was served on a mound of steamed Spinach and thin, fresh green beans, with a light lobster sauce. The Spinach was a substitute for Lobster mashed potato's. After the salad dressing I had to behave. Each person received an "amuse" of a small thin crostini with chicken and cheese mixed and a balsamic reduction.
Our table had a crab trifecta, two small crab cakes, crab chunks with a vinaigrette and remoulade, for dipping, and a crab soup. We also had a bowl of basil, pesto bisque, completing our sampling of first courses. Main courses were Lobster Pasta, Pan Roasted Chicken, Several orders of Diver Scallops and of course my Salmon. There were several other salads and then two wonderful desserts; home made toffee Ice cream and an out of this world Raspberry, nut tart served with this chocolate shavings enclosing a small scoop of Ice Cream. The large plate was dotted with with both caramel and raspberry sauce, hardly rich. The man with the gun forced me to taste both desserts. So much for counting calories.
The only negative was that I had to return my Salmon for additional heat. Quite possibly, since it was served medium rare, as ordered, it had cooled, some, while waiting for the other dishes to be assembled and served. Another point of interest to me was that when I asked if the Iceberg Wedge could be split in the kitchen, so that I could give some to a Granddaughter I was told that there would be an $8 charge if the kitchen split something. This as very amusing since the salad was only $6 for the whole portion. There are quite a few fine restaurants that don't want to upset the presentation of the food and possibly this is the reason for this policy. The server was quite accommodating and brought an extra plate so that we could accomplish the task at the table. I told Paul he might want to review this policy and give staff some flexibility.
Nothing marred a very good meal and wonderful evening, and we will return, even though from our home it is half way to Dayton.

No comments: