Friday, October 14, 2011

4 places in one week

Here is a report on 4 places with different styles, but all good, and even can be somewhat healthy.

"Nectar Restaurant" 1000 Delta Ave Cincinnati, OH 45208 (513) 929-0525. As I reported this is high on my list because of the preponderance of items on the menu made from fresh ingredients with very little additives, All interestingly and well prepared and attractively served.
Last Saturday night we went to celebrate my Birthday, a day late( Yom Kipper was on the exact day. Along with Marilyn and me were our, in town two children. I brought a home made birthday cake, but more of that latter.
We started, during drinks with a plate of beautiful golden and crisp Shrimp Fritters, not in the least greasy. I followed with a taco of duck Carnitas, shredded and roasted covered by a fried egg and a light fresh tomato salsa. Knowing that the others would over order I received an empty plate and an opportunity to enjoy a large sample of Marilyn's Beef Stew, chunks of roasted beef sirloin and vegetables in a beautiful bourguignon sauce. I also enjoyed a good size sample of "Golden Tilefish" poached in a very light curry broth. Both were wonderful. For desert, as mentioned, we brought a special cake, my favorite, three layer yellow cake with one layer filling of Apricot jam and another of Red Raspberry jam, all iced with dark chocolate icing, I really didn't need dinner. Some Birthday feast.

On to "Enoteca Emilia" 2038 Madison Road Cincinnati, OH 45208 (513)834-5773. We had had a wine and Italian dinner, with 5 wines, at our house the night before and I brought the remains of a Sicilian Chardonnay for the two owners to taste, I also ordered a glass of "Gavi" to which I had been introduced on the previous evening( light, crisp, Italian white). For my appetizer I chose the Stuffed figs, bacon wrapped, covered with a spicy tomato sauce, a beautiful contrast of flavors, sweet and sharp. The main course was there excellent mushroom ravioli and for desert the table shared the terrific ricotta fritters. Three items that are actually fairly light and yet quite filling.

Next it was our neighborhood steak house, the always reliable "Precinct" 311 Delta Ave. Cincinnati, OH 45226 (513) 321-5454. The man himself, Jeff Ruby was at the next table, and after registering my displeasure at the price of the "Bombay" I downed one before dinner( more bark than bite). Marilyn and I, almost always, share a 12 oz Sirloin and baked potato, with of course the crisp onion straws. I have the Greek salad while she enjoys the "Freddie". The kitchen skipped the rub, on the steak and brushed the Kosher salt from the skin of the potato, so I felt somewhat virtuous, while knowing down deep I wasn't. but still enjoying the excellently prepared meal. For desert the table had "Banana's Foster"deadly but delicious. No using the scale the next morning. The Precinct is still our favorite "chop house" and it's just down the hill.

Lastly, my standby Chinese, "Oriental Wok" Hyde Park, Madison and Dana Avenues, 45208 (513) 871-6888. I took a bit of Marilyn's crisp,hot egg roll before she had a dish of chicken, mushrooms, broccoli and noodles while I had a special rendition of "Shrimp Chinatown", slivers of crisp carrots, celery, onions and water chestnuts with grilled shrimp crowning the vegetables. All fixed with no salt or soy, can you believe. It was beautiful, tastee and probably the most healthy thing of the week. From there we took off to the "Ensemble Theatre" and a very wordy play, not particular to our liking.

No comments: