Tuesday, February 23, 2010

M to U/Continued

Friday night, Feb 19 a group of us met at "The Pelican's Reef" on Beechmont Ave. near 5 mile. Phone 513-232-2526. My description of the "reef" has always been that it is a Key West seafood bar. Now my knowledge of Key West is extremely limited as I have never actually been there and have only heard descriptions from some of our friends, who I am not sure have ever been to "The Pelican's Reef". That aside, they have good drinks, good food and good prices. I chose an unusual salad, one of the "specials", of baby spinach, crisp fried Oysters, hard boiled eggs and blue cheese crumbles all in a light citrus vinaigrette. It was quite delicious and sufficient for a light dinner. Remember I had had "Banger and mashed" for lunch. Marilyn had grilled Walleye while others had crab cakes, grilled Salmon, chowder and even a hamburger. We ate at a high table which seated 6 easily. One thing that was again reinforced; 6 to7 PM on a Friday night during Lent is "big business" at seafood restaurants.
Sunday night we met another couple for a 6 PM dinner at "Aroma" a recently opened restaurant next to the new Norstrom store in Kenwood Town Center. The address is 7875 Montgomery Rd. Cincinnati, OH 45236 and phone 513-791-0950. They have been open less than a month but "seem to have their act together". The place is modern, open and well lighted while the noise level is very manageable. The service is pleasant and very prompt, from greeting to food delivery.The sign outside says "Restaurant and Sushi Bar" and so after my Bombay I tried the "soft shell crab roll". It came as advertised and was sufficient for a one course dinner. So far I have not found "rolls" that live up to those at "Wild Ginger" on Edwards Rd. in Hyde Park, but I imagine like everything else it is a matter of personal preference. Sushi is certainly available almost everywhere and I wonder when I will find it on an Italian menu. Marilyn had short ribs with mashed potato's and asparagus which I tasted. Again I am partial to the short ribs, bone in, fixed in our kitchen. The menu covers some interesting sounding standard items; Cobb Salad, Rack of Lamb, Salmon sliders, etc and I am sure I will give "Aroma" another try.
Monday my friend and long time secretary joined me for lunch at "Otto's" 521 Main St. Covington KY 41011. Phone 859-491-6679. Unless you are a first time reader you know of my feeling and relationship there. They have added "sliders" to their menu, as reported earlier, but this is the first time I have had them for a meal, and I'm glad I did. An order comes with three decent sized meat patties, cooked perfectly, medium rare, with three different combination toppings. Our favorite was the Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onions but each are interesting and different. With our split order we had an order of crisp sweet potato fries with a honey dipping sauce, again split. Plenty of lunch for $19 for the two of us, plus drinks and tip.
Today lunch was at the new "Cafe Bistro" in the Nordstrom's store in Kenwood Plaza. Their menu is interesting and what one would expect at a "department store cafe". Soups, Salads Pizza, Sandwiches, specialties(plates), Chef's specials and Desserts. We two males chose a cup of Bistro Crab Bisque, a creamy, spicy tomato based soup with small pieces of crab, red pepper, tomato's and scallions. Then I had an open faced, at my request, grilled ham and Gruyere sandwich, accompanied by a nice side of crisp, favorable tossed salad with a dark cherry vinaigrette. My lunch companion had Rosemary Chicken on Ciabatta. Items came hot, well prepared and taste. It is not cheap with soups $3.50 to $4.50/per cup and sandwiches $9.95 to $11.50 depending on the ingredients. Drinks run from water thru beer and wine.

No comments: